Pediatric Scoliosis Treatment in Shrewsbury & Edison, NJ
What Is Scoliosis?
At Atlantic Pediatric Orthopedics, our experienced team specializes in diagnosing and managing scoliosis in children. We provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment options for optimal spinal health. From monitoring to surgery, our experts emphasize early detection and intervention. Schedule an appointment at (732) 544-9000 for our convenient locations in Edison or Shrewsbury, NJ.
Experience Expert Pediatric Scoliosis Care in Shrewsbury & Edison, NJ
Atlantic Pediatric Orthopedics offers specialized treatment for pediatric scoliosis in Shrewsbury and Edison, NJ. Our skilled orthopedists provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment, including monitoring, bracing, and surgery. Early detection and intervention are crucial. Contact us for an appointment at our convenient offices in Edison or Shrewsbury, NJ. Let us guide your child’s journey to a healthy spine.
Who Is at Risk of Developing Scoliosis?
There isn’t a known cause for many types of scoliosis. Some theories suggest that scoliosis is:
- Linked to growth spurts
- Sometimes caused by structural changes, for example, if one leg is longer than the other, or central nervous system changes
- Often caused by problems with posture and body symmetry.
What Causes Scoliosis in Young Children?
Infantile scoliosis occurs when scoliosis is diagnosed before the child is 3 years old, and there is no known singular cause. Juvenile scoliosis is diagnosed between the ages of 4 and 10. Some patients with juvenile scoliosis have an underlying spinal condition, but the majority do not. Young children with scoliosis frequently need surgical treatment.
What Causes Scoliosis in Adolescents?
Roughly 10 percent of children between the ages of 10 and 15 years old will be diagnosed with scoliosis, stemming from periods of rapid growth during this age. Girls at this age are 10 times more likely to have scoliosis than boys.
What Are the Symptoms of Scoliosis?
Scoliosis typically causes the following symptoms when the curve becomes moderate to severe:
- One shoulder might be higher than the other.
- The head may night be centered over the body.
- The waistline is flat on one side
- The ribs are higher on one side than the other.
- Pressure on the spinal discs, nerves, muscles, ligaments, or facet joints.
Treating Scoliosis in Shrewsbury and Edison, NJ
Treatment for scoliosis is based on age, the degree of the curve, and the type of scoliosis the person has. The most common scoliosis treatments include:
- Observation – If the curve isn’t severe (less than 25 degrees), the doctor will recommend observation. Checkups will take place every four to six months to make sure the curve is not getting worse.
- Bracing – Doctors might suggest bracing when the curve is more than 25 degrees, the curve is getting worse during the observation period and the person has more than two years of growing left.
- Surgery – Doctors use surgery to correct curves that are more than 45 degrees. The surgery involves fusing two or more bones in the spine. If necessary, the surgeon will also add implants.
Schedule an Appointment with a Spine Specialist in Shrewsbury or Edison, NJ
If your child is experiencing back or neck problems, Atlantic Pediatric Orthopedics is here to help. We offer comprehensive treatment options for various spine conditions, serving families in Red Bank, Edison, Shrewsbury, Tinton Falls, New Brunswick, and Woodbridge Township. Our experienced orthopedists provide personalized and compassionate care, ensuring that your child receives the best possible treatment.
Specializing in scoliosis, spine fractures, and other spine-related conditions, our team develops individualized treatment plans tailored to your child’s specific needs. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment at our conveniently located offices in Edison or Shrewsbury, NJ, please call us at (732) 544-9000 today. Let us help your child find relief and regain their spine health.